Pride is self-focused, self-seeking, and self-worshipping. It puffs itself up and exalts itself above everyone and everything–especially God, His will, and His Word.
Pride is insidious and destructive–many people unaware that they are infected. It decimates everything in its path: (1) your relationship with God, (2) your relationship with others, (3) your purpose and calling etc.
God hates pride: “The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate” (Proverbs 8:13).
Pride has consequences: “Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud” (Proverbs 16:18-19).
Pride deceives: If pride deceived the devil, Satan, into believing he could usurp God’s throne and power, we must be vigilant in identifying it in ourselves and repenting of it.
Signs of Pride
1. Consistent critical and harsh spirit
2. Justifying sin instead of confessing and repenting of it
3. Being too proud to ask for help
4. Not teachable
5. Hates correction
6. Presumption before God
7. Desperate for attention, respect, and worship in all forms
8. Fault-finding (filtering out good in others until you only see their faults)
9. Superficiality (concerned with people’s perceptions of you instead of the true state of your heart)
10. Low self-esteem/self-worth (self-focused and contradicts what God’s Word says about you)
SOURCE: (1) desiringgod.org and (2) allenparr.com